Sunday, March 16, 2008

More maybe Better I think not


Throughout the last couple months my digital world has opened up to many new ideas, cultures, and beliefs. I have read and posted on different activities and events that take place in the real world and transfer into the digital world. Starting with the obvious Second life and all the issues I have with what this program has done to our society new issues come into play. After reading through what Milestone Company believes and what NetAge Endless Knots has posted on the website the idea of virtual brainstorming being more beneficial than face to face brainstorming is the new argument. There are very compelling arguments for both sides but I still feel more confident that working with the physical person and not just there voice are web cam version of them is more effective. There isn’t much of an argument against the numbers saying virtual brainstorming groups find more solutions alone then groups meeting and brainstorming together, however, is more solutions necessarily better? If your working at the top level of a corporation in making million dollar deals and decisions the amount of solutions is hardly the most important issue. I would say having people come together and brainstorm creates a stronger bond between people and better solutions. The only reason why more solutions come up when brainstorming is done virtually and alone is because no one is opposing them.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I agree. I don't necessarily think that companies will get more completed using one over the other. It is more important of the different alternatives you can get by brainstorming and the outcomes from it, whether that is done in person or virtually. I personally feel that face to face communication is better in the sense of knowing who you are working with. However, with technology moving in the direction it is, I'm not surprised that companies feel that virtual communication is better, especially when everyone is working towards getting things done quicker.

Timur Khalif said...

Although I do not necessarily agree with your view on virtual communication and teams, I still see a valid argument. It believe it just all depends on the what the groups are looking for and who actually contributes. Nothing ever works perfectly and that is the nature of life. I was also shocked to find out that virtual teams come up with more solutions than face to face meeting teams. I guess that is all due to the amount of work put in by each person and how they work together, even if there not actually there together. I also agree with Kendra about the fact that technology is a big factor. The more advanced we get, the easier it will be and the more cost efficient it can be for the company.

Deepak Shahani said...

I think its interesting how more ideas can come out of virtual brainstorming. But I feel that this is no surprise, because brainstorming online, can give participants a greater chance to voice their opinion and may reduce the influence of dominant speakers in a meeting. Shy people may voice or oppose certain ideas more readily through reasoning in a virtual setting, than in a face-to-face meeting. There can also be less confrontation in virtual meetings, and people may focus on getting the job done, rather than getting distracted or side tracked during a face-to-face meeting.