Monday, March 3, 2008

Job Hunting

With the advancements made in society I feel we have done pretty well at teaching are youth how to also stay on track with this forward progression. From the first time I took a job as a busboy a remember tips to take into account when trying to get the job. Keep eye contact and give a firm handshake when you first meet. For jobs I will be working for in the near future it may take a little more. I’ve heard things like it’s not what you know but who you know that get you the job and connections are most important when trying to excel but what else comes into play.
Now that social networking online is becoming a more popular way to do business then going in yourself and applying I feel from here on out I will need to be much more tech savvy. I could walk into an interview more qualified but several steps behind my competition because my online resume was either not existent or less than stellar. At this point its not so much my future I’m concerned about but what I’ll be teaching my children so they can be ahead of the game when the time comes.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

These days most companies or employers also expect recent graduates or the younger generation to have a vast knowledge of the tech world. The generations graduating college now are expected to know new media and how to make a website of some sort. The problem I have seen recently is that the majority of undergraduates lack the necessary computer skills that employees want. My advice would be to learn as much as you can while you have the chance in college or learn from someone who is experienced in the ream of technology.

Timur Khalif said...

I agree with the steps you take, however in the real world, its not what you know, its who you know. This can be seen all around the world. There are definitely people out there who are more qualified than others that do not get the job they applied for, but that is because someone made a connection with the employer and got the job. In addition, the majority of our youth doesn't have the qualifications that are required or expected of us which makes the job hunt even harder.