Monday, February 25, 2008

2nd second life

I felt like second life deserved a second week of discussion. I’ve continued to do some readings about the online community and still find it very depressing. After the class that we had last week and the chance to experience second life first hand I have spent good about of time thinking about it. After reading about the marriages people have celebrated on second life and the amount of stories about people making real money I wonder how far this second life thing can go.
Complaints I’ve heard about second life and complaints I have myself about it are similar to issues people have with other social networking tools. I understand the convenience of being able to meet up with people in a virtual world that may be strenuous to arrange otherwise because of maybe distance or disabilities. In situations like that I think its great for people to have an easier way to communicate. Issues I have with second life falls under issues of an older advertisement. Second life was allowing people to go to Talib Kweli’s house and hang out with him in the second life world. That just seems like a waste of time and a bizarre way to get people involved in second life.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I think some of the articles I've read about marriages and other things done on Second Life go a little too far. However, after being on it for a little while with people in the class and exploring around, I feel that I understand it better. Before I didn't know how to get to different areas and was constantly stuck in one or two areas.

From my experience on it, the only time I talked to other people was when I needed help or in class, otherwise I don't feel that many people talk to others. That could be because I was only in certain areas and that I don't know the 'right' places to go, but I don't get the social feeling to it.

Deepak Shahani said...

I think some of the aspects of second life is kind of sad, as some people are taking it very seriously, either because they have way too much time on their hands or it is really addictive.

I do think that it has a lot of potential though and could have a lot of productive uses. It also provides an avenue for online users to interact in a virtual world rather than just through IM, blogging, or chat etc.