Sunday, February 10, 2008

Where do you usually go when you take a trip onto the Internet? If there is no homework or research to be done and nobody that you have to urgently get in touch with how do you spend your time on the web? What is it about a website that attracts an Internet user to come back again and again? I have a couple different e-mail accounts that I usually give a quick look-see and then see the scores of my teams on espn.com. Facebook, which we have had enough of a class discussion about, I will usually visit to see if any birthdays are coming up. To become a regular visit for any web user the site must be adapting and changing consistently.
I was reading the article about spoof videos posted on youtube that attracted thousands of viewers with the website alone getting millions of visitors. Also the idea of getting someone from every state to visit my blog post got me thinking of what exactly attracts a user to a particular site. There are 5 websites that I check regularly and I’m very curious to here from others what websites they check regularly. I also recommend downloading Stumble if you use firefox or Internet Explorer. Stumble is a program that after putting your interests in it will take you to websites that appeal to your interests. Check it out if you get a chance.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

I personally have a few websites I check on a normal basis and are bookmarked on the side of my internet browser. I mostly like to check up on movies on IMBD and what Amazon thinks I'll like compared to what I've bought in the past.

However, I don't think just because a website is changing constantly that a person will check it as often. I have a list of favorite authors and I check their websites constantly even thought they don't update their pages as often. I often check those websites to look back on something.

I feel like its based off a person's interests and not just on how much it changes. I find these questions sometimes hard to answer because every person perceives things differently and have very different reactions.

Carolyn said...

I believe it is based on the website changing constantly that keeps people coming back. I check Perezhilton.com and sometimes TMZ.com so I can be on top of entertainment news for my TV show. Then I rarely check facebook because I am consistently on gmail or some type of google related product. Other than that, I check videosift.com, i am bored (they have good videos, and Drudge Report. I would have to say I'm a surfer these days though. I always like ot find new sites. I think I will check out that program you mentioned.

Timur Khalif said...

When I am bored or have nothing to do, I search for funny videos or such on sites such as ebaumsworld.com or funnyjunk.com. These sites have hilarious videos, pictures, fun facts, games, etc., and all of these aspects attract me and that is why I frequently visit these sites. In addition, they have changed so much since the first time I saw them. New designs and appearances all attracted me even more. I believe that is based on both a persons interests and the sites attractions for a person to keep coming back. I have sites I must go to and sites I just visit for fun. It all depends on what I am doing at the time and for what purpose I am browsing. All in all, i agree with the fact that we are all different and perceive things differently.

Deepak Shahani said...

I have accounts in hotmail, google, yahoo and american U, where I check my email. So I go to multiple sites to check my email.

To check the weather I use yahoo.com as it has a myriad of links and categories where you can research things you are interested. I guess I'm still used to using yahoo.com as oppose to google.

I also constantly, check my bank account balances and credit card statements online, to keep track of my spending.

As the Internet is making it easier to conduct necessary activities such as communication and organize your finances, I guess these are sites we constantly check.